Monday 10 August 2015

Favourite childrens books

I am a HUGE book reader. I could literally sit all day reading a book, until it was completed - in fact, before child, I loved nothing better than doing just that.

I think reading is hugely important and I want to encourage Ella to enjoy reading just as much as I do. Obviously, at the moment she is too young to appreciate it or enjoy snuggling up and getting lost in a story - she's much more interested in eating the pages.

When she does though, there are so many books I can't wait to read to her. Some of which are the very same books I enjoyed reading in my childhood.

I have compiled a list of my favourites, that I recommend you check out!



1. "Guess how much I love you?" by Sam McBratney




The classic feel good, warm fuzzies book. A story of a parent and child describing their love for each other. It's such a beautiful story with a beautiful message and one that I could read to Ella over and over again.

2. "The very hungry caterpillar" by Eric Carle.



Another classic children's book, one of which I very clearly remember from my childhood. The vibrant colours are what appeals to me most, that and the memories of how much I enjoyed reading it when I was little. A story of a caterpillar who is, like the title suggests, very hungry.

3. "The Gruffalo" by Julia Donaldson.



A beautifully written rhyming story about a brave little mouse scaring away his predators with the threat of "The Gruffalo". I love reading this book, it has a beautiful message with beautiful illustrations to match.

4. "Grandpa's Slippers" by Joy Watson.



I loved this book as I child mainly because I think it reminded me of my beloved Grandfather, who passed away when I was 11. It doesn't really have any particular message behind it, just a feel good story about a Grandpa and his attachment to his slippers - because we all know Grandparents are the best right?

5. "Where's Spot?" by Eric Hill




Another throwback to my childhood. I've always been an animal lover so this book appealed to me for that very reason. And even better? It's a lift-the-flap book! Exactly as the name suggest, we're on a mission to find Spot!

6. "Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy" by Lynley Dodd



A classic Kiwi book series that I'm pretty sure most Kiwi kids have grown up reading and loving! The adventures of Hairy Maclary and his friends has to be one of my all time favourites to read as a child. I'm determined to collect the whole set for Ella. She's already showing signs of loving animals so I think she would love the Hairy Maclary books.

7. "The very cranky bear" by Nick Bland.



A recent discovery for me but it's quickly become a favourite. With the STUNNING illustrations and cute storyline, it's a definate must-have! About four friends, Moose, Lion, Zebra and Sheep who stumble across the cranky bear when playing in a cosy cave and decide to try and put a stop to his "crankiness".

8. "The rainbow fish" by Marcus Pfister



A beautifully illustrated book, with holographic details, about a beautiful fish that ends his loneliness when he learns to share with others. This is another book I enjoyed from my childhood. The rich colours are what appeals to me,  that and the lovely message of friendship and sharing.


There you have it! My favourites and some big classics!


Let me know what some of your favourites are - I'm always on the look out for new books to add to our collection!



If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

2 comments:

  1. Love all of these books...you must get I Love You, Stinky Face...my daughter loved that book when she was a bubba, now she reads it to her little brother :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of these books...you must get I Love You, Stinky Face...my daughter loved that book when she was a bubba, now she reads it to her little brother :)

    ReplyDelete