Sunday 13 September 2015

Mummy advice


 I did one of these way back when Ella was only a couple of months old, now that she's approaching 10 months I feel like there are a few more things I've learnt over the past while that may be of use to other parents.

As I said in the last "advice" post I am by no means an expert I am just a Mum muddling along on the parenthood journey who wants to share a few of the things I have learnt along the way.

1. Don't compare your baby to others  

As I currently have a baby that is still not crawling, unlike others her age, I find it really hard to not compare her with what other babies are doing. I find myself feeling really on edge about the fact that she's not and the need to defend myself and her when I get asked if she is or not. This is ridiculous! There is nothing wrong with her or the fact that she is not crawling - it doesn't make her slow, delayed or LAZY it just means that she's not quite ready yet and in time, hopefully, she will. Moral of the story? all babies are different, don't compare yours to others and just like us as adults they do their own things in their own time.

2. Baby milestones are guidelines not law

You cannot group all babies into the same category. It just doesn't work. Each baby is an individual and develops in their own time. Milestones should not be taken literally. If your baby is not crawling at 10 months or not rolling over at 6 months doesn't mean they won't - they will, but in their own time!

3. Don't feel guilty for feeding your baby store bought baby food

Totally. Store bought food is not BAD for your baby. They wouldn't be able to sell it if it was. If you don't have time to slave away in the kitchen making homemade baby food, then don't feel guilty if you can't! At the end of the day as long as your baby is being fed and nourished, then that's all that matters,


4. Don't feel guilty for using the t.v or a jolly jumper as an occasional babysitter.

Yes, I admit, I do this on occasion. Sometimes, you just have to go to the toilet or make a sandwich and if you have a baby that doesn't like you leaving the room then this is one of the ways to keep them momentarily distracted while you get things done!

5. Join a group or class specifically for babies.

Ella and I go to "Wriggle and rhyme" every week - she loves it! If you feel like you need an outing or social interaction - with other Mums - then what better way to make friends or keep your baby entertained by joining a group such as Mainly Music, SPACE or Wriggle and Rhyme.

6. Go easy on yourself!

Bit of a vague statement but what I mean is don't make yourself feel guilty for any decisions you make and don't second guess yourself. I know how bad Mummy guilt can be and I don't know how often I've questioned whether I'm doing the right thing or if I'm doing the best for Ella. At the end of the day if your baby is healthy and happy then that you must be doing something right!

7. Take time for yourself.

When baby is asleep and you're tossing up between cleaning the house of having a break. Have a break! The house cleaning can wait, it's so important just to relax - when you always have to be "on" you need to chill out when you get to be "off"!


So, there you have it! A few more "words of wisdom" from me.

What is one piece of advice you would give to other Mums?




If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments: